Violence is never acceptable or appropriate. 


If you, or someone you know, are ashamed of, or uncomfortable with, your behavior with your children, your partner, your elderly relatives or your companion animal(s), please do the right thing:

Stop the behavior, and get help from the list below. 




If you are hurt by, or uncomfortable with, the ways that your parents, your partner, or your adult children treat you, please take care of yourself:

Know that you are not alone and get help from the list below. 

Helping Children

  • To report child abuse anywhere in Delaware, call the Department of Services for Children, Youth and Their Families: 1-800-292-9582
  • To find Parents Anonymous(R) parent support groups, call: 302-225-1040, or toll free at 855-613-2110. Also, visit the Parents Anonymous Tab at the top of the page to find out contact informtation for your area. 
  • For additional resources, call the Delaware Helpline by dialing: 2-1-1


Helping Elderly

  • To report elder abuse anywhere in Delaware, call The Department of Health and Social Services: 1-800-223-9074
  • To get help for elderly persons being victimized by fraud or other financial exploitation, call the Department of Justice: 302-577-8508 (New Castle County), or 302-739-4211 (Kent/Sussex Counties). 
  • To find befriending and friendly visiting for elderly at risk or in crisis, call the Interfaith Volunteer Caregivers: 302-225-1040, or toll free at 855-613-2110. Also, visit the Faith in Action tab at the top of the page for more information. 

Helping Partners


  • To get help for domestic violence or other intimate partner violence, including emergency shelters and other crisis intervention, call Child, Inc.: 302-762-6110 (New Castle County), or Families in Transition: 302-422-8058 (Kent/Sussex Counties). 
  • To find counseling for persons impacted by domestive violence, call: 
    • Child, Inc: 302-762-8989 (New Castle County)
    • Catholic Charities: 302-655-9624 (New Castle County)
    • Peoples Place II: 302-424-2420 (Kent and Sussex Counties)
    • ALSO: Latin American Community Center: 302-655-7338(New Castle County)
      • La Esperanza: 302-854-9262 (Sussex County)

Helping Animals

  • To report suspected cruelty to animals, find or report lost animals, and/or report a stray animal(s), please call The Delaware SPCA Humane Law Enforcement Division (HLE): 302-998-2281 (New Castle County), 302-856-6361 (Sussex County). You may also file a complaint online:
    • The Delaware SPCA's HLE Program is not funded by the government. They are a nonprofit organization that relies on donations to provide this life-saving program. Visit this webpage to find out how you can lend your support:
  • For more information about the protection of animals, visit The Humane Society of the United States:

Helping Everybody

We know now that abuse, exploitation and violence against children, the elderly, intimate partners and animals are related. Children who abuse animals, for example, are at high risk to grow into adults who abuse their own children or partners. Just as well, most serial killers and many violent criminals were exposed to some form of abuse in their adolescence. 


Abuse, exploitation, neglect and/or violence against children, the elderly, intimate partners and animals weakens families and communities. Fortunately, the maltreatment of vulnerale populations can be prevented. Here are some steps that everybody can take to help: 

  1. Take child abuse, elder abuse, domestic violence, and animal abuse SERIOUSLY. Get help for yourself if you are at risk. Learn how to get help for others. 
  2. Practice positive and nurturing ways of relating to children, companion animals, senior citizens and intimate partners. Demonstrate compassion and kindness to your children and instill in them humane values.
  3. Become involved in community efforts to prevent violence and protect vulnerable populations. Contribute time or money to organizations and programs that work to help children, the elderly, animals and families. 


For more information or to become involved, contact the Delaware Collaborative Project on Family Violance at: 302-225-1040

Delaware Association for Children of Alcoholics (DACOA)

Mission: To increase public awareness and address the special needs of children of alcoholics of all ages- especially those too young to speak for themselves. 

In Delaware, approximately 40,000 school age children have at least one alcoholic parent. In school this equates to one out of four children in each classroom is living in an alcoholic environment. 85,000 adults in Delaware suffer from past effects of family alcoholism. The steadfast rule for children of alcoholics (COA's) is to never talk about the problem. DACOA, helps COA's to understand that they did not cause the problem and that they cannot cure the problem.


DACOA was founded in 1987. It is a 501(c)(3) non-profit Delaware Corporation; an affiliate of both the United Way of Delaware and the National Association for Children of Alcoholics


Funds for the Association are provided by individual donations, grants and the Delaware General Assembly. 

DACOA strives to serve the needs of Delawareans by performing the following instructions: 

  • Sponsoring public events featuring professionals in the field of addiction.
  • Distributing free pamphlets and literature.
  • Providing free workshops to schools, community organizations and businesses.
  • Providing free school-based support groups. 
  • Providing volunteer facilitators for weekly programs at corectional institutions. 
  • Serving as an advocate for COA's among government agencies.
  • Conducting treatment referrals. 

Contact Us:

P.O. Box 344, Hockessin, DE 19707

Tel: (302) 656- 5554



Contact Us


Delaware Ecumenical Council on Children and Families
240 N James St
Suite 111
Wilmington, DE 19804


Phone: 302 2251040

Toll Free: 855 6132110

Fax: 302 2251041


"Like" us on Facebook


Or use our contact form.


Please help us continue our program services to Delaware children, elderly and families:

  • Please select agency 9374 on your United Way contribution.
  • Delaware State employees can support us through the State Employees Charitable Campaign (SECC).
  • You can also help by sending a donation directly to DECCF, 240 N. James Street, Suite 111, Wilmington, DE 19804. All gifts are tax deductible


Do you want to get involved?

  • Can you give someone a ride to the doctor's office?
  • Can you take someone along with you when you go to the store?
  • Visit a lonely person once a week?
  • Call someone on the phone so they don't feel alone?

Call the Faith in Action coordination in your area or



Latest News