Are you prepared for hurricanes?
You are familiar with the infamous Hurricanes Katrina, Irene and Superstorm Sandy. Prepare now to survive a disaster and make any recovery less complicated.
- First: Visit the http://www.ready.gov website to arrange your family emergency plan and identify contact numbers.
- Second: Organize key financial records (see www.operationhope.org/emergency-kit)
- Third:Begin creating an emergency supply kit to sustain a household for 3-7 days.
- Calendars help build a preparedness kit over 3-9 months so as not to shock the household budget.
- Fourth: In case you are advised to take shelter in your home, learn how to shut off the ventilation system and have materials to seal off a central room, preferably one without windows.
- Fifth: Prepare for evacuation and determine where you will go and how you will get there. Arrange what you will take with you and package it in backpacks or small plastic boxes. Include a copy of your emergency contact numbers.
Reveiw these resources now in case you must shelter in place or evacuate:
- Delaware Division of Public Health (DPH) Office of Preparedness: http://dhss.delaware.gov/dph/php/ and http://delawarepreparedness.wikispaces.com/
- Seniors Emergency Preparedness from the American Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/seniors
- The Delaware Ecumenical Council on Children and Familes has great resources you can obtain upon request. These resources include a Disaster Readiness Planning Guide and a Disaster Readiness Planner both from the Inclusive Preparedness Center (IPC). To request your copy call us at (302) 225-1040
Delaware Ecumenical Council on Children and Families
240 N James St
Wilmington, DE 19804
Phone: 302 2251040
Toll Free: 855 6132110
Fax: 302 2251041
"Like" us on Facebook
Or use our contact form.
Please help us continue our program services to Delaware children, elderly and families:
- Please select agency 9374 on your United Way contribution.
- Delaware State employees can support us through the State Employees Charitable Campaign (SECC).
- You can also help by sending a donation directly to DECCF, 240 N. James Street, Suite 111, Wilmington, DE 19804. All gifts are tax deductible
Do you want to get involved?
- Can you give someone a ride to the doctor's office?
- Can you take someone along with you when you go to the store?
- Visit a lonely person once a week?
- Call someone on the phone so they don't feel alone?
Call the Faith in Action coordination in your area or
VISIT OUR VOLUNTEER PAGE FOR THE VOLUNTEER FORM,
TO BE RETURNED TO OUR CONTACT ADDRESS BELOW.